Tiramisu is a favourite of mine; it’s so simple, it is not too sweet and has just the right balance of coffee, creamy, and booziness. And I do enjoy a dish which has an added kick.
It can be set in a baking dish or as I have done it – stacked like an intricate game of Tetris.
If you have boudoir biscuits in the house then it’s an easy quick fix if you need an emergency dessert with little fuss and hassle.
200g boudoir biscuits
65ml Baileys cream liqueur
2 egg, separated
1 tsp vanilla essence
60ml icing sugar
20g cocoa powder for dusting
- Combine the coffee and the liqueur, dipping each boudoir biscuit in until well coated.
- Whip the egg yolks, vanilla, and mascarpone.
- In a separate bowl whip the cream till medium to stiff peak, fold into mascarpone mixture.
- In a new bowl whip the egg whites and icing sugar until a medium meringue. Fold into mascarpone cream mixture.
- Line six of the coffee liqueur soaked boudoir biscuits next to each other. Using a quarter of the mascarpone mixture cover the biscuits with a decent dollop, spread evenly.
- Repeat placing the boudoir biscuits in the opposite direction. Repeat until you have four layers, ending with a topping of mascarpone. Dust with cocoa powder.
Serves: 6-8 people
Tip: the longer the tiramisu sits, the flavours will be more absorbed into the biscuits and as a hole it will be a flavour bomb in your mouth.