I had to call my dad the other day to get this recipe. I had such a craving for them – the tangy apricots, the nutty goodness and caramelized honey… mmmmmmmmmm.
When I was in preprimary school my dad used to make these and put them in my lunch box for me. They were such a hit all the other kids parents wanted the recipe.
I am sure these will be a hit in anyone’s lunch box, or even just for a little “guilt free” sweet snack.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup Rice Crispies
4 Weetbix bars, crumbled
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup dried Turkish apricots, sliced
1/4 cup dried apple, sliced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup nuts, (I used almonds and cashew nuts, but any nut will do)
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup peanut butter
- Combine all the cereals, dried fruits, seeds and nuts together.
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, honey and peanut butter. Allow the sugar to dissolve and then bring to a boil. Do not stir too often as this will crystallize the sugar.
- Once the honey, sugar and peanut butter starts to bubble, pour over the dry ingredients and mix through using a metal chefs spoon.
- Stir until the syrup is well combined and mixed through.
- Line a 30cm x 20cm tray with baking paper. Press the mixture into the tray, ensure that it is firmly pressed together and compact.
- Leave to set in a cool place until firm. Once set cut into rectangles or squares. (6cm x 4cm)
Makes 25 rectangles
Tip: you can add any seeds and nut you desire, just don’t add over and above the quantities in the recipe as you will not have enough binding from the honey syrup.